Sunday, March 30, 2008

Re-gifters by Mike Carey, Marc Hempel, and Sonny Liew


I recommend this book for: middle and high school

This one is a definite winner! Dixie is a Korean-American girl who practices hap ki do, but her balance is completely thrown by Adam, a cute boy in her dojang. She blows the money she was supposed to use to enter the national hap ki do championship to buy him an expensive birthday gift, only to have him toss it aside in favor of a Superman Returns dvd from a popular girl. Her family is too poor to pay for her entry now, and a lot rides on her doing well in the tournament. Several twists follow, which made for a story that fit together perfectly and a climax that made me want to laugh out loud and cheer (okay, I really did laugh out loud, but I managed to keep the cheering inside my head. . . I think.) I studied hap ki do in college, and I was happy to see that the authors used the Korean terms accurately - at least, as far as I could tell. The characters were lively and enjoyable in both the art and the dialogue, and I was left hoping for more volumes chronicling the life of this heroine who literally kicks butt.

Re-viewers.

No comments: