Sunday, March 30, 2008

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

I recommend this book for: high school

Maggie had a crush on Caleb a long time ago - before he was arrested for driving the car that hit her, ruining her leg, her tennis career, and her life. He was drunk, and the accident was a hit and run. After nine months she's finally going back to school, and he is being released from juvenile detention. As they come into contact again, all of their hurt and other emotions come out, ending with the most surprising one of all. Maggie's normal life has been wrecked by the accident, but so has Caleb's, and the story of their friendship and more is thrilling to read. I really appreciated Maggie's strength, the complexity of Caleb's character, and (although it upset me for about 30 seconds when I first finished the book), the lack of a traditional happy ending. A few plot threads weren't tied up as neatly as I would have liked, but then, that's real life. Compelling stuff!

Professional reviews.

So, there's obviously teen drinking in this one, although Caleb does not drink after his return from prison - but his friends do. Caleb does continue to hook up with his ex-girlfriend, who is now dating one of his friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog I really liked how you put your opinion into the book and I thought the book was excellent except for the ending but in an email Simone sent me because I sent her an email she said that she will write a sequel someday to Leaving Paradise but right now the new book she has coming out is called zero tolerance of Perfect chemistry either one of those titles its coming out late 2008 or early 2009. Anyways again great blog.

~Susan