Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray


Huzzah, my 100th post! To celebrate, I'm reordering the pile of books I have to blog and reviewing one I've been anticipating for months - the fantastic Libba Bray's The Sweet Far Thing.

I recommend this book for: grade 8 and up

In book 3 of the series that began with A Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels, all of Gemma's problems are coming to a head. In our world, her debut is creeping closer, her father is sinking back into addiction, and her brother is trying to raise himself in society and failing. Perhaps most stressful, Kartik has disappeared and she finds herself thinking of the Indian boy far more than is proper . . . In the realms, the tribes are becoming restless, and Pippa has started a tribe of her own. They all want their share of the magic, but Gemma is unsure that she should actually give it to them as she promised. Unsure of who to trust or what her visions mean, beginning to be overpowered by the magic that she herself cannot contain, Gemma tries to find the answers to all of her questions and problems, but she stands to lose everything that is important to her if she makes a wrong choice.

I finished this one in about 2 days, despite the 819 pages. There are some shocking revelations, some tearful goodbyes, and plenty of new opportunites for the characters. I think my favorite scene was the one where Gemma finally reveals to her brother the power she has, changing their relationship forever. It was a sweet moment. There are also plenty of sweet moments (and spicy ones too, for that matter!) with Kartik - don't worry Mom, nothing is explicit! I'm very happy with the conclusion to this series, and I'm intrigued to see what Libba Bray comes out with next . . . This will continue to be a series I hand out to girls who want some supernatural romance.

No comments: