Friday, November 30, 2007

Kissing the Bee by Kathe Koja

I recommend this book for: high school

Another wow! Dana is a high school senior, a good student who spends most of her time with her best friend Avra and Emil, Avra's boyfriend. Dana's secret is that she has always wanted Emil. Avra's secret is that she plans to drive off into the sunset right after prom, taking Emil with her. And Emil has a secret too, not that he's telling.

It might sound at first like a typical love-triangle drama, but this was a moving and thoughtful book. Dana's biology project about the lives of bees and their mythological symbolism provides an overarching metaphor for the relationship between queen bee Avra and Dana the worker. The tension in some of the scenes is unbelievably intense, and I completely loved it. The last line of the book explains the title, and it was a perfect finish. I definitely loved it!

(Sadly, it's not for everyone - if you're uncomfortable with swearing, teen drinking and partying or implied -not graphic - sex, I wouldn't recommend this title.)

The buzz from the pros.

2 comments:

Ciao said...

I absolutely LOVED this book.
I've been reading Some of Koja's books lately. I really liked The Blue Mirror, I loved Talk. And I'm in love with Kissing the Bee. It was so wonderful <33

serket said...

I recently read this book and liked it. I have also read another of her books called Buddha Boy.