Sunday, November 18, 2007

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal by Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis


I recommend this book for: elementary school

The subtitle is "A Worldwide Cinderella," which just about sums it up. I read some excellent reviews of this one (see the link at the bottom) and couldn't wait to read it. The nearly universal Cinderella story comes to life as stories from all over the world combine into one tale. The artwork is lovely, and the simple text matches perfectly. A nice bonus is a map on the endpapers that shows the different countries whose versions of the tale are included. Not for young fairytale fans, but perfect for those who know and love the story, and especially kids who have heard versions from more than one culture. I can definitely see this title getting classroom use - for a folktales unit, you could read this book aloud, then assign small groups to read other books that are different versions of the Cinderella story and briefly talk about their differences or create a play using that storyline . . . hey, I might make that into a library program myself!

Reviews that made me want to read this book.

No comments: