Saturday, October 6, 2007

Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little by Peggy Gifford and Valorie Fisher


I recommend this book for: grades 3-5

This is a book with an intriguing concept, and although I didn't love it, I thought it was okay. Moxy has to read Stuart Little before the first day of school, and the first day of school is tomorrow! She's spent all summer avoiding the poor little mouse, and even though her mother has demanded she read it before she does anything else, Moxy has plenty of other great ideas - like cleaning her room and planting a peach orchard to finance her college education - to keep her away from it. Clever, yes, but I found the narrative voice a bit irritating, almost condescending, particularly at the end. Although a very accurate and funny portrayal of how a child trys to avoid doing someting she doesn't want to do, I feel like the book was written more for adults to giggle at and nod their heads than for kids to appreciate. An aspect I really enjoyed were the photos (supposedly taken by Mark, Moxy's brother) that illustrated the action of the day, even though they did look far too perfect. In all, not one of my favorites, but still pretty good.

But hey, I'm just a cynical reader of teen lit, what do I know?

No comments: