Friday, October 12, 2007

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor


I recommend this book for: preK-grade 2, and girls of all ages who love to dress up!


Oh, how I love love love Nancy! I love this book so much that I'm going to be Nancy for Halloween! She likes things to be fancy - ballet shoes that lace up her legs, glitter and feathers, and using fancy words like parfait instead of ice cream. But poor Nancy is the only fancy one in her family - her parents and sister are so plain that they don't even get sprinkles on their ice cream! Then she has the great idea to teach them how to be fancy, and her parents play along and go out for a very fancy dinner.


I can't express the hilarity of this book. Robin Preiss Glasser's illustrations are absolutely perfect - my favorite is the one where Nancy's family in all their finery bursts through the door of the local pizza joint. All of the other customers are staring with their mouths wide open because, as Nancy says, "They probably thought we were movie stars." If you haven't already, go read Fancy Nancy - it'll make your day.


No comments: