Friday, September 21, 2007

On the Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck


I recommend this book for: grade 4 and up


There are certain things you expect in a Richard Peck novel, and this one doesn't disappoint in those areas. Quirky characters. Heartwarming moments. Interesting historical details. Yes, yes, and yes - but I'm not sure how much kid appeal this book really has. It's told as a series of vignettes that occur throughout Davy's experience on the homefront during WWII. Some of them were hilarious and some poignant - the jokes Dad plays on Halloween pranksters come to mind in the hilarious category - yet the overall feeling is one of nostalgia that I'm not sure kids can really relate to, and that creates some distance from the characters. Also, this book happens to have one of those endings where I didn't realize it was over and turned the page to see what happened next and the answer was "Nothing, you idiot, the book is over!" A little too abrupt for my taste. An enjoyable historical fiction, and yay for another one narrated by a boy, but I'm not jumping up and down about it like I was with The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips - which had a female protagonist, hmm . . .



No comments: