Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Forged in the Fire by Ann Turnbull


I recommend this book for: high school


I think that I don't do sequels very well. I was completely entranced by No Shame, No Fear, and although I was still interested in this book and the characters, it seemed flatter to me. Maybe I'm a sucker for romantic tension (which is hard to maintain when the characters get married!), or perhaps it was that there was so much going on in this book - Friends held prisoner, deaths and marriages, babies, lots of moving around, the Black Death, and on top of it all, the great London fire. I think the problem, however, was mostly with me - I certainly can't fault Turnbull's attention to historical and character detail. I especially appreciated her honesty about young people's emotions, how even people in love can have feelings for someone else under the right circumstances. Definitely a book I'd recommend to fans of the first, but not as a stand-alone, lest the reader never develop an interest in the characters, not understanding their history.

No comments: