Friday, August 3, 2007

Jango by William Nicholson


I recommend this book for: middle and high school, fantasy fans, just make sure to read the first one first!

Wow and a half. This book is the first one within my memory that tempted me to pull it out at red lights on my way home from work - I was just dying to know what happened next! (I resisted the urge, but barely!)

This sequel to Seeker exceeded all of my expectations. In the first book, Seeker, Morning Star, and the Wildman all sought to become members of the Nomana, warriors who protect their sacred island and their god with strength that comes from magic. I was so impressed with Seeker because it was an engrossing fantasy that didn't fall into a standard dragons, elves, young wizard at school storyline. The closest comparison I can come up with for the Nomana are Jedi, but the story and the world feel totally original.

As Jango begins, the three heroes of the last book are in training, but of the three, only Seeker is truly happy. The Wildman cannot be defeated in battle, but his ambitions aren't those of the Noble Warriors, and Morning Star is filled with conflict, absolutely in love and completely doubting her worthiness. A new warlord appears on the scene with horses - something unheard of - and begins terrorizing the land, heading for the city of Radiance and the Nom itself, just as the Old Ones prepare to make their attack on the All and Only, the god on the sacred island. Seeker, Star, and Wildman follow their separate paths and face the threat, but will their strength be enough when their entire way of life is threatened?

I started this one yesterday and finished this morning. Fantasy fans should definitely look into this series - it's one of my favorites, and I know I'm not the only one.

Professional reviews - the first one is a gross oversimplification of the plot, but the excerpt at the bottom of the page is great!

No comments: