Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Castaways by Rob Vollmar and Pablo Callejo


I recommend this book for: middle and high school



I read great reviews of this graphic novel, and was somewhat disappointed. It follows Tucker, a 13 year old boy who follows his father's footsteps and hops a train, trying out the life of a Depression era hobo. It was definitely a quick read, but it was so quick that although there was certainly much to admire in characters like Elijah, the old black man who takes Tucker under his wing, I felt like I didn't have any time to get to know them and care about them. Tucker's mother was the only one I felt was fairly well-developed. But, it wasn't a bad book - the illustrations were certainly lovely, and there was a good bit of historical detail packed in to both the illustrations and the dialogue. I might recommend it to reluctant readers in need of historical fiction - although I don't know of many teachers who have embraced the graphic format just yet.

Disagree? So do the pros.

No comments: