Monday, July 9, 2007

The Professor's Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert


I recommend this book for: high school

This bizarre little romp through Victorian London reminded me of Tim Burton, but without his style. Imhotep IV, despite being dead for several centuries, falls in love with the daughter of professor who discovered him and they fight the odds to be together - including the fact that Lillian poisoned several police officers to hide the mummy, and her subsequent inexplicable kidnapping at the hands of Imhotep III, who seems to have left his afterlife in favor of piracy . . .

I picked this one up because of the mummy theme, but I found it more confusing than anything else. There are multiple murders which nobody seems terribly concerned about (other than the police, and they just don't want to lose face), including that of the titular professor, and the weird factor doesn't really do much for me. The one scene I found funny was Imhotep III's forced entry into the palace to see Queen Victoria, and her subsequent dunking in the Thames. It's possible I've missed something, but I thought this one really wasn't all that good.

But hey, what do I know?

No comments: