Friday, June 1, 2007

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke


I recommend this book for: advanced readers

This is another book that I probably wouldn't have picked up if it wasn't on my system's summer reading list for middle school. As such, I didn't read the first book, Inkheart, and started out extremely perplexed! If you haven't read the first one, do yourself a favor and read the summary and reviews here.

As Inkspell opens, Dustfinger has found someone who can read him back into his own story, but the world he returns to no longer follows the storyline Fenoglio created. Cosimo the Fair is dead, and the Laughing Prince mourns him constantly. One of Dustfinger's daughters has died, and things look grim for the kingdom, as the Adderhead attempts to put his grandson on the throne and take it for himself. Meggie reads herself and Farid into the story, desperate to protect Dustfinger from his death. Simultaneously, Orpheus - the reader who returned Dustfinger - comes looking for Mo to read him into the book and terrorizes Elinor's household. Mo and Resa end up in the Inkworld, while Elinor becomes a prisoner in her own house.

This book took me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to finish - weeks! I can normally get through a decent sized YA or J novel in a few days at the most, but this one was so complex and hard for me to get into that it took far too long. The characters were compelling, so I finished, but it was a struggle. I would only recommend this to advanced readers who enjoyed the first book.

But what do I know?

No comments: